Sunday, September 23, 2007

Volunteer Abroad Safely

We all want to take these adventurous trips abroad to save the planet and do something meaningful, but with all if the excitement of traveling, there are always some safety issues that come up.


Traveling to a different country can bring about some frightening instances. It is hard to adjust to a new place when you are not familiar with the area, you may not speak the language, and you do not know anyone to contact if something were to go wrong.


STA Travel offers a programs that allows you to choose the country you would like to volunteer in and it provides a feeling of safety.


There are not only programs that save the Eco environment, which is what I am focusing on, but there are also programs to aid the social environment in these countries.


STA Travel came up with I-To-I Volunteer Abroad, a program that is for volunteers but you do have to pay. I know it does seem odd that you would have to pay to volunteer, but it is this extra aspect of safety that your money will go to.


According to the STA Web site http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/home.htm, the money will go to helping you locate these remote places that are not very tourist friendly, but are indeed the communities that need the most help, your accommodations and some meals are included, you have an in-country guide to ensure nothing goes wrong. The money will go to a few other things that overall are meant to make you feel more at ease in a foreign country so that you can focus on the job at hand.


"I am going to travel when I have saved enough money by the end of the year,"said 22-year-old Lexi Green. "My parents are helping out as my graduation present, but I think they would be a lot happier if they knew I would be safe."



Green explained that she is interested in working abroad she admitted that she was not completely thinking about saving the environment, but she does have a strong interest in veterinary studies and helping the local wildlife would be a great experience. Saving the local wildlife includes saving their habitat.


"Since I am taking this trip all alone, I do think I would feel a lot better with a guide," said Green. "Maybe I could meet other people my age doing the same program so I would have people to hang out with while I am there."


Possible countries offered in the I-To-I Volunteer Abroad Program include Thailand,Brazil,Costa Rica,Egypt,India and the Philippines, along with many more. So you can basically choose which country you have always wanted to see and there will most likely be a program that you can participate in to enrich your experience.


For example, you could live in Madagascar, the only place you can still find lemurs in the wild,according to the Web site, you would wake up early every morning and carry fruit baskets out to the wild lemurs!!! The program needs volunteers to help staff learn English to communicate with the visitors. You would be explaining to the visitors what the program does for the animals and their habitat. Check out the Madagascar trip, which is one of many, here http://statravel.i-to-i.com/ProjectBooking.aspx?mid=537&tabindex=2&tabid=134&subtabindex=0&subtabid=218&ci=en-us&pmt=840&prj=3&dst=156&pkg=1&stg=2








No comments: